Thursday 13 March 2014

Review: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs



Title: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Pages: 352
My Rating: 3.75 / 5 stars
Goodreads

Before I got the chance of reading it, I did my best not to read any spoilers or even synopses, which I often do because I like reading a book without knowing anything about it. 

Firstly, the story was, to me, very original, but then you should know that I hardly ever read YA fantasy or the like. However, it took me a while to get hooked, and it was not until halfway through the novel that I started feeling it may be worth more than 3 stars. It then did become very exciting and especially the last 100 pages were terrific. 

What usually bothers me when I read YA, usually fantasy, is the writing style, as it is usually very simplistic to the point of annoying. Although the way in which this novel is written is by no means special either, it just feels like an easy read, and the style did not bother me at any point. 

I am not sure about the use of the pictures in the book. Although they are beautiful and often haunting, and in a way adding to the story, I also feel that they limit your own interpretations and fantasies. 

When starting to read this book, do not expect it to be scary or creepy at all. This was also said to me before I read and because I at first had that thought this made it less of a bummer that it was not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment