Friday 1 May 2015

April Wrap-Up

Here's a recap of all the books I read in the month of April. Most novels will be reviewed on here in the future. 

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
A novel written from a little girl’s perspective, set in 1950s America. It is a coming-of-age story, but even more so a novel which explains the conflict of racism. Not the first time I read this, and loved it again. *****

Perfume by Patrick Süskind
A man with an incredible smelling sense wants to make the perfect perfume. Unfortunately, I’m afraid the film’s ruined this experience for me. Still did enjoy it though. ***

I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak
About an under-aged cab driver who suddenly receives a playing card with instructions. I loved the book throughout, but am still not sure what I think about the ending. ****

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
Don Tillman wants a girlfriend. Having never really gone on a second date, he devices the Wife Project: a form women fill in which help him write off women who are completely unsuitable. Sometimes unrealistic as the characters are all quite hyperbolic, but I really enjoyed it. ****

The Nose and The Carriage by Nikolai Gogol
Two short stories which both deal with Russian politics. The first one being very allegorical, I did enjoy it for its humour: a man loses his nose, and the nose seems to lead a life of his own, but the second story I can honestly barely remember. ***

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
The second book in the Harry Potter series – about a boy who finds out he’s a wizard. Slightly slower than I wished it was, but still amazing and magical ****

Ik hoef niet op te letten, ik weet alles al by Meester Bart
A Dutch book with quotes by children written down by their teacher. The teacher is incredibly pretentious, but some of the quotes were funny. **

All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher
Part memoir, part guide. Carrie writes down her own journey of growing up, hoping to help teenagers who are now going through the same thing. Wonderfully written, highly enjoyable, but I mostly enjoyed the biography parts, as I’m quite a bit older than the target audience for the ‘tips’ parts. ****

The Gate of the Hundred Sorrows and other short stories by Rudyard Kipling
All short stories set in India. Some I loved, some I didn’t. ***

Peter Pan by J.M Barrie

A boy who never wants to grow up takes some children on a journey. Lovely story, but reading it as a grown up makes me much sadder and more weirded out by the story. ****

No comments:

Post a Comment